Favorite TOFU Recipes
Homemade Spaghetti Sauce with tofu
1 # firm regular tofu, FROZEN THEN THAWED, and squeezed, is best, or just pressed for 30 minutes, wrapped in towel to dry.
- Heat 2-4 T oil in large non stick pan. (A tall kettle works best, because it will spatter)
- Crumble the tofu fine and gently place in hot oil. You want it spread thin so all the tofu touches the pan.
- Medium heat, Let it sit about 5 minutes, letting it brown, then give it a stir
- Let it brown about 5 minutes longer.
- Add the following and saute until onion is translucent:
- 2 T oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic
- 1 onion
- 2 ½ t salt
- 1/2 t pepper
- 1 t rosemary
- 2 t basil
- 1 t oregano
- 1 T parsley
- 1/2 t crushed red pepper (optional)
- 30 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 t sugar
- 12 oz tom paste
- 1/2 c red wine
Simmer on low, 30 minutes or a couple hours, adding water if too thick.
Season to taste
Tips / Options / Notes
You can skip frying the tofu, and just crumble it into the sauce. But frying tofu gives it a burger like chewy quality
And of course, add "whatever" to the sauces, making it even better! Broccoli, mushrooms, sundried tomatoes, artichokes, olives, spinach....
If you are limiting oil, then, obviously, cut back on the oil